Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Nail Biting Tips

I know I have been MIA for the last week, and here's why... I had a bit of a relapse with nail biting when I had a really stressful week, and now my nails look like this:


And to be honest, I don't think its fair to swatch any collections on nubbins like this, they wont show their full beauty. I have been trying my normal nail care to get them to grow, but I think it will be a week until I am happy. I plan on doing some manis of the day in the meanwhile, but today I wanted to share some nail biting tips to stop!
I had previous stopped biting for around 7 months, after around 18 years of nail biting. I found some of these things really helpful during the initial time!

  • Chew gum when you get the urge to bite your nails
  • Try a bad tasting polish (Specially made to prevent nail biting), this didn't work for me but I know it does for others.
  • Similarly to the bad tasting top coat, you can use lemon juice (I don't know if I would advise this if yo have cut cuticles or cuts on your hands!)
  • Get a friend that you spend time with to yell at you when you bite your nails. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes you don't even realize you are doing it, and getting someone else to point it out can help you from those unfortunate biting times!
  • Something that worked the best for me was just constantly changing my mani! I wouldn't bite them if they were painted nicely, but whenever there was a chip I would have the urge to bite! Constantly painting my nails kept my nails nice and me happy!
  • It might seem silly, but when you really get the urge, moisturize your hands and put on gloves, to keep yourself away from those growing nails! 
  • Worst comes to worst, sit on your hands if you can't keep yourself from putting your hands near your mouth! It is super silly, but your nails with thank you!
  • Reward yourself for going without biting, it will keep you more motivated! Maybe treat yourself to a polish you have been dying for, or a professional mani!
These are just some of the little things I would do! I hope they can help some of you out! I would love to hear your tips below or on Pretty in Paint's Facebook!



1 comment:

  1. I found the everyday change the key to stopping. I think ur nails look good tho. Lots of us have short nails! We still polish them! :)

    ReplyDelete